Most guitars made before 19th century have very ellaborate decoration, at least those which were not “cheap” instruments. This decoration was composed by combination of different woods for ribs and back, fingerboards and head with marquetry, inlays on the soundboard… Those of us who work with ancient models also often use these resources, but the elements that most usually strikes our attention are the parchment roses on the soundhole.
These roses are made by gluing two or more layers of cut parchment which complement each other to build volumes and shapes that can look like from an architectural element to the most delicate bobbin lace.
Traditionally, these roses have been made using knives, gouges, and lots of time and patience. As it is a very time-consuming work, it is becoming more usual to buy them ready-made, and this is why I offer you my models.
On the making of my roses I combine new technologies with artisanal work, so I can offer low prices but also quality, done with the best parchment of the tanneries of Igualada, and with the delicateness of the work in the 17th and 18th centuries.
– Anonymous catalan dulcimer from the 18th century kept at the Musée de la Musique de París. Two layers. Price: 50€.
– Anonymous catalan dulcimer from the 18th century kept at the Museu de la Música de Barcelona with number MDMB0071. Two layers. Price: 50€.
– Bandúrria by Joseph Massaguer the elder in Barcelona (1711-1763) kept at Musée de la Musique de París with number E.535. Two layers. Price: 50€.
– Catalan guitarró made by the circle of Joseph Massaguer the elder in Barcelona (first half of 18th century) kept at the Museu de la Música de Barcelona with number MDMB0118. Two layers. Price: 50€.
– Anonymous catalan guitar from the second half of the 17th century (particular collection). Two layers. Price: 50€.
– Vihuela from the 16th century kept at the Musée de la Musique de París with number E.0748 known as the Chambure. Three layers. Price: 60€.
– Anonymous catalan guitar from the second half of the 17th century in the collection Romanillos-Harris. Three layers. Price: 70€.
All the roses are normally made with a diameter of 80 mmm, but can be made with any diameter within 70 and 90 mm. If you need other sizes please contact me. All prices are without taxes.